Thanks for that, Mr. Smith.
Yes, it is that time of year again: the first Saturday in May, the time when comics fans and wannabe comics fans trek to their local comic shops in search of swag. You can find your nearest participating shop at the Free Comic Book Day website, and iFanboy has a great rundown of the titles being offered this year. Me, I'm looking to get my hands on Atomic Robo and Friends, Owly and Friends (which includes a Johnny Boo story by James Kochalka), and Th3rd World Studios' The Stuff of Legends, featuring pages from Legend of Bill, Superfogeys, and Pinkerton. And don't forget to thank your retailer by perusing the non-free books as well.
If the idea of leaving your house agitates your agoraphobia, you can also download three titles from publisher WishTales: Eddie Pittman's Red Planet, Steve Ogden's Moon Town, and A Tale of Two Robots from Tom Dell'Aringa (of Marooned). Free downloads are available May 1st only.
In addition to giving out free books, some shops will be hosting writers and artists, including a handful of webcomics creators:
- Ryan Sohmer (Least I Could Do, Looking for Group) and Karl Kerschl (The Abominable Charles Christopher) will be at The 4th Wall in Pointe Claire, Quebec.
- Spike (Templar, Arizona) will be at Evil Squirrel Comics in Chicago.
- Danielle Corsetto (Girls with Slingshots) will be at Beyond Comics in Frederick, MD.
- Gina Biggs (Red String) will be at Richard's Comics and Collectibles in Greenville, SC.
- Cameron Stewart (Sin Titulo) will be at Cosmix in Montreal.
- JH Shepard (Eben07) will be at Big Brother Comics in Sacramento, CA.
- Andy Belanger (Raising Hell) will be at Silver Snail in Toronto.
- Lucy Knisley (Stop Paying Attention) will be at Quimby's Bookstore in Chicago.